Since Kazakhstan signed the Customs Union agreement with Russia, favorable conditions have been created for exports to this country. For example, there is no requirement to submit a customs declaration. This makes Kazakhstan attractive for Russian entrepreneurs. In order to promote their products on the Kazakh market, it is necessary to make them recognizable, to individualize them with a memorable brand. In order to protect the trademark of the products you are going to offer to consumers from copies and fakes, it is necessary to register it.
Registration of a trademark in Kazakhstan can be done in three ways:
The third option is to apply to the National Institute of Intellectual Property of the Republic of Kazakhstan - Kazpatent (RGKP NIIS). The intergovernmental agreement mutually simplifies the procedure for registration of legal protection of Russian trademarks in Kazakhstan and vice versa.
- compliance of the submitted documents with the registration requirements;
- checking the payment of fees and registration fees;
- Checking and adjusting the correspondence of the list of activities according to the Nice Classification
As a result of the preliminary examination, a notice of its result - acceptance of the application - is sent to the applicant. This stage is performed within a period of 2 months from the date of submission of the application.
- absence of absolute barriers to registration - grounds for refusal - such as state symbols, common terms;
- search for identical and similar trademarks that can serve as an obstacle to the registration of your trademark;
- when such signs are found, the degree of similarity and their homogeneity in terms of classes of the Nice Classification is checked.
This stage is the longest, lasting 12 months from the date of application.
A curious fact from the field of intellectual property protection: recently an informal, but used term "trademark trolling" has emerged. The registration of a brand or the purchase for a small sum of money of already existing and unused trademark in order to influence bona fide businessmen with subsequent material gain. For example, an invalid trademark similar to yours, but registered earlier, is bought to challenge the priority of the mark. In order to avoid such a situation, it is preferable to entrust the verification of the brand intended for registration to specialists.